In February 2017, the Trump administration unveiled a new plan to expand the number of public school students allowed to attend college.
The law would let parents opt out of allowing their children to take the College Scorecard.
This would mean students who attend college would have a hard time getting into some colleges.
The program would cost about $1.4 billion, with the money going to help states pay for education.
It would not affect public school teachers, according to the White House.
As part of the program, the government would provide incentives for schools to use online assessments to increase test scores and boost student achievement.
A group of parents filed a lawsuit against the administration in April 2017, arguing that the program would undermine the constitutional right to attend school.
The Trump administration has maintained that the College Assessment Assessment Test (CAPT) is not meant to be a standardized test and that it is an independent evaluation of student performance.
In April 2018, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos told a congressional panel that the CAPT is an “independent, self-assessment” that does not reflect “any one institution’s evaluation of students.”
In September 2018, the Department of Education released a report concluding that the college assessment test is “a highly reliable predictor of college enrollment and graduation, is of limited value to schools, and does not predict attendance at colleges and the likelihood of attending college.”
A federal appeals court in January 2019 ruled that the Trump plan was unconstitutional.
Critics said the CAPS is not a measure of students’ performance, but instead a measure that students must take to graduate from high school.
They said the college assessments are an unfair assessment that disproportionately affects minority students.
President Trump has continued to push the college admissions and graduation plans.
In February 2020, Trump signed an executive order that included a promise to “immediately rescind” the program.
As part of his plan, the administration proposed to provide $1 billion for colleges to pay for new assessment tests that would be used to track student performance and graduation rates.
In 2018, Trump ordered the Department to “begin construction on an independent assessment and evaluation of all students in America.”
Trump’s plan would also allow parents to opt out from the program and require them to pay to cover the costs of the tests.
According to the American Association of University Women, there are nearly 3.2 million students enrolled in colleges and universities.
Trump signed a memorandum in January 2020 directing the Departments of Education and Labor to coordinate with the National Governors Association to work together to promote a college admission and graduation plan.
During his first year in office, President Trump appointed a number of advisors to the Department for the implementation of the plan, including former U.S. Senator Tom Harkin and former Secretary of Labor Robert Reich.
In June 2020, the president signed an order requiring the Deputies of the Depots of Education, Labor, and Health and Human Services to coordinate on college admissions.
Trump appointed Vice President Mike Pence as the acting administrator for the Department on July 10, 2020, following the resignation of Kathleen Sebelius as secretary of health and human services.
Pence had previously been a Republican vice presidential candidate in the 2016 election.